Motorcyclists and bikers often suffer serious injuries in traffic mishaps in Georgia. More often than not, drivers suffer the consequences of another party’s reckless behavior. If you were injured in such a crash, the first thing you must know is the fault-based system in the state. In Georgia, the at-fault party is liable for losses endured by others. However, what you do after an accident is also relevant for recovering a fair settlement. You can learn more here about the appropriate steps after a motorcycle accident in Georgia.
- Inform the police. Call the police and wait at the accident scene. Give a brief statement to the visiting officer, but do not admit anything. Even when you believe that your action may have caused the accident, keep things to yourself. Ensure that the officer files a report.
- Identify the driver. Check with the other driver and note down their name, contact details, and license information. Ask for the name of their insurance company and write the policy number on a piece of paper.
- Seek medical care. If you are seriously injured, call 911 immediately or go straight to the ER. You may not feel extreme pain due to the adrenaline rush, but ensure that you seek treatment later for more minor injuries. Maintain a file for your medical records and everything related to the bills.
- Check for witnesses: If witnesses are at the scene, ask for their contact details. If you are not in a position to take statements, keep the info so that you can contact them later. Also, take photos of the accident scene.
- Inform your insurance company. You should consider informing the insurance company at the earliest. In some cases, you may need to file a claim with the insurer, and the sooner you notify them, the better.
- Call an attorney. You need to call a motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. The good news is most lawyers will not charge an immediate fee for handling your claim, and if your case goes before a jury, you can expect them to represent you in court.
Calling a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you do your best for the circumstances. Ensure you remain calm at the scene and do not post anything on social media. You should also ensure transparency with your lawyer and share all details, including your role in the accident, so they can work on the strategy accordingly.