A person’s physical, mental, and emotional health can be severely compromised when they are the victims of sexual assault or abuse. It is not unusual for victims of assault or persistent abuse to struggle for several months, or even years, after the event that caused the problems. For victims to heal, they typically need to undergo a variety of forms of medical care, including but not limited to physical treatment, therapy, counseling, and medication administration. On the other hand, the exorbitant cost of treatment can place a further strain on victims who are already struggling to pick up the pieces of their lives and may cause them to feel even more overwhelmed.
Many people who have been wronged may be unaware that they have legal remedies beyond simply filing a criminal complaint. In a case involving damages for sexual abuse, the plaintiff seeks compensation for medical expenditures, suffering and pain, emotional distress, and other losses. We are aware of how difficult it can be to describe your experience and how courageous it must be for you to speak out against a perpetrator of sexual assault or abuse. In Michigan, sexual abuse and assault victims can seek legal representation from attorneys who can walk them through filing a legal claim against the offender.
- This encompasses the following forms of sexual abuse and assault but is not limited to them:
- All sexual contact with children is prohibited.
- The execution of a sexually-related criminal, particularly statutory rape
- Sexual contact with such a minor or a person incapable of providing informed consent
- Assault and violence of a sexual nature, as well as sexual assault resulting in severe bodily injury
- Unwelcome body contact with a third party
- Sexual exploitation of children or indecent exposure
A sexual abuse lawyers in Michigan can assist you if you or a loved one has been abused sexually. Most victims are so terrified of revenge, embarrassment, and uncertainty that they do not speak about their experience for years, if it is not decades at a time. Those who have been the target of sexual assault frequently have a sense of powerlessness due to their conviction that no one will accept them or take any steps against their attacker.