Symptoms of Internal Bleeding After a Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you’ll need to watch out for internal bleeding. Internal bleeding is a serious injury that happens when blood vessels are damaged and bleed into surrounding tissues. It can be deadly if not treated right away.
Unfortunately, most people don’t realize they’re hurt until it’s too late. That’s partly because the signs of internal bleeding aren’t always obvious. In some cases, there may be no symptoms at all. Be sure to see a doctor immediately if you’ve been in a car accident, even if you don’t think you’re injured. You also want to follow up days or weeks after your accident to rule out potential injuries that may have caused internal bleeding. As well as seek guidance from an experienced car accident attorney.
Warning signs and symptoms of internal bleeding
Any time you experience trauma to the head, neck, or torso—such as in a car accident—it’s vital to be aware of the signs of internal bleeding. Internal bleeding can be life-threatening, so it’s crucial to seek medical attention if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Coughing or vomiting blood that looks like coffee grounds could signal internal bleeding in your digestive system.
- Sudden vertigo or dizziness, as well as fainting, may indicate bleeding in the brain. This is especially true if the dizziness worsens when you move from sitting to standing.
- Internal bleeding can cause weakness and muscle fatigue because it reduces the oxygen muscles receive.
- Syncope, or fainting, can also be a symptom of internal bleeding. This is because the blood pressure drops when blood loss, which can cause you to pass out.
- Low blood pressure is another symptom of internal bleeding. If you experience low blood pressure, and it hasn’t been part of your normal health history, it could signify that you’re losing blood internally.
- New or sudden vision problems can signify bleeding in or around the brain.
- Tingling or numbness sensations in your toes or fingers can indicate bleeding in the spinal cord.
- Weakness that’s more apparent on one side of your body can signal bleeding in the brain.
- Sudden, severe headaches that do not go away with pain relievers are another sign of possible brain bleeding.
- Shortness of breath can be caused by bleeding in the lungs.
- A deep purple, flat bruise called ecchymosis may appear on the skin if there is bleeding under the skin.
- Pain or swelling in the abdomen, especially if it doesn’t improve with time, can signal internal bleeding in the digestive system.
If you experience one or more of these symptoms after a car accident, don’t wait to get medical help. Internal bleeding is a serious condition that needs prompt treatment.
Symptoms of very severe internal bleeding
In some cases, the symptoms of internal bleeding may be more severe. If you or a loved one experiences any of the following symptoms, it’s a medical emergency, and you should call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room right away:
- Loss of consciousness
- Organ failure
- Very low blood pressure
- Vomiting blood
- Inability to urinate
- Leakage of blood from the nose, ears, eyes, or
- Rapid heart rate
- Sweaty skin that feels cool to the touch
File a Claim for Compensation
Internal bleeding can be life-changing. If you or a loved one has suffered from internal bleeding due to someone else’s negligence, you may bring a claim for compensation. This compensation will cover:
Medical expenses include the cost of any treatment needed for your injuries, such as ambulance expenses, diagnosis, surgeries, hospitalizations, medications, follow-ups, emergency room visits, and rehabilitation. It also covers any future medical care you may need due to your injuries.
Lost wages and lost earning capacity
If your injuries prevented you from working and caused you to miss work, you may recover the wages you’ve lost as well as any future earnings you’ll lose because of your injuries.
Pain and suffering
You may also recoup damages for the physical pain and mental anguish you’ve experienced because of your injuries.
Loss of consortium
If the internal bleeding has caused a loss of intimacy or companionship with your spouse, you may recoup damages for that as well.
If your loved one died because of their injuries, you might be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover damages.
How a seasoned Car Accident lawyer can help
Filing a suit or an insurance claim can be complex and overwhelming, especially if you’re already dealing with a serious injury. A seasoned car accident lawyer can help you navigate the process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Your lawyer will:
- Examine your accident to determine fault
- Collect evidence to support your claim
- Handle all communication with the insurance company
- Calculate the value of your damages
- Negotiate with the insurer for a fair settlement
- File a lawsuit on your behalf, if necessary
- Represent you at trial, if necessary
Internal bleeding can be a serious and life-changing injury. If you or a loved
Contact a personal injury in today
If you experience internal bleeding shortly after an accident, it’s important to seek medical attention right away. Once you’ve received treatment, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your case. An attorney will help you understand your legal rights and options and fight for the compensation you deserve.